Sunday, July 24, 2011

Writing helps for hacks


When I first decided to give up on writing something I could be proud of and focus on writing something I could complete (and possibly get paid for), I wanted to keep my plots as formulaic as possible. But, when I sat down at my computer, I found that I could not remember a single plot formula. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever heard these alleged formulas spelled out, except for the ones that start “boy meets girl.” As a hopeless unromantic, that didn't seem to help.

I took to googling “plot formulas,” “formula fiction,” etc. to get inspired. Would you believe that search came up with nothing?

Finally, thanks to the good folks at i09, I have a nice, simple list to get started on: http://io9.com/5817287/ten-tired-movie-plots-that-need-to-show-the-villains-perspective

I realize that this particular inspiration is not their intention. But it's working out great for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment